When first diagnosed with epilepsy, the patient, or their caregiver, will have a thousand questions. As a result, it is very important that you arrive to your doctor and/or neurologist armed with the right questions. Here are the first 5 vital questions to ask your doctor when you or someone you care for is diagnosed with epilepsy:
- What type of epilepsy does the patient have and what caused this?
- How is this going to affect the patient’s brain/ life? (prognosis)
- What are possible triggers/warnings for my seizures? Any restrictions?
- Are medications going to affect the child’s life? What are the risks/side effects of medication?
- Who should be managing the patient’s epilepsy?